Here at Play to the Crowd, we programme creative work for both:
- Theatre Royal Winchester - our beautiful 400 seat Edwardian-style theatre.
- Hat Fair - our three day multisite Outdoor Arts Festival.
We’re always on the lookout for work that supports our vision to delight and unite.
We’re particularly interested in work that fulfills one or more of our programming themes:
- Think - Performance that explores ideas, encourages us to see the world through different eyes and develops new insights and perspectives.
- Chuckle - Performance that makes you laugh and explores different ways of doing so.
- HIP (Hat Fair Inspired Programming) - Visual performance which is exciting to watch, spectacular and makes you go "Wow!"
- Research and Development - We provide space and technical support at Theatre Royal Winchester during January (post panto) for selected local professional makers to develop ideas that we think meet our programming themes: Think, Chuckle and HIP.
- Co-commissioning - We regularly co-commission work as part of the Artistic Directorate of the Without Walls Outdoor Arts Consortium. We also occasionally co-commission new work, with a particular interest in new physical performance or dance productions which we believe have the potential to attract sufficient audiences for theatres of our scale across the country.
- Co-producing - We are mainly a receiving organisation apart from our annual panto which we produce ourselves. However, we are increasingly interested in joining consortia of like minded organisations to co-produce interesting new work which could attract significant audiences and have a life beyond a single season or tour. This could be for the middle scale indoors or for the Outdoor Arts touring circuit.
- Networking - We host networking events for local artists and are always keen to expand our invite list. If you are relatively local to Winchester, a performance maker or performer or work in a related arts context, we would love to get to know you.
How to get involved
Express your interest in any of our opportunities for Artists by contacting email@example.com